The USS Cole and the US Plan to Invade Aden:"JANE NOVAK

This majlis is for English discussions, researches, articles...
أضف رد جديد
freedom
مشترك في مجالس آل محمد
مشاركات: 159
اشترك في: الثلاثاء مايو 03, 2005 7:22 am

The USS Cole and the US Plan to Invade Aden:"JANE NOVAK

مشاركة بواسطة freedom »

http://armiesofliberation.com/archives/ ... vade-aden/

SANAA - Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh said on Thursday that only his personal intervention had dissuaded the United States from occupying the southern port city of Aden after the bombing of the destroyer USS Cole there in October 2000.

“There was a plan to occupy Aden,” Saleh said in a speech to mark the anniversary of the former south Yemen’s independence from Britain in 1967.

“By chance, I happened to be down there. If I hadn’t been, Aden would have been occupied as there were eight US warships at the entrance to the port,” he said.

“The tension was enormous but we succeeded through our diplomatic efforts and our firmness in preventing what was about to unfold and had been planned.”

I have a complete transcript of the Hearings before the Armed Services Committee of the US Senate (oct 19 & 25, 2000). According to Zinni and Franks, there were no warships at the entrance to the port. As a matter of fact, the closest US ship was rather far away and wasn’t able to get to the Cole, which is why the valiant crew was on its own in trying to save the ship from sinking all together.

By chance, Saleh says, he happened to be down there….

Said Jane @ 11:49 am

أضف رد جديد

العودة إلى ”English Majlis“