The Right to Know is also a Human Right

This majlis is for English discussions, researches, articles...
أضف رد جديد
عماد الدين يحي بن حُميد
مشترك في مجالس آل محمد
مشاركات: 137
اشترك في: الخميس يونيو 03, 2004 8:04 pm
مكان: اليمن
اتصال:

The Right to Know is also a Human Right

مشاركة بواسطة عماد الدين يحي بن حُميد »

The Right to Know
is also a Human Right

In a country like ours, where illiteracy rates are among the highest in the world, where poverty is dominating the scene everywhere, and where most of the population is in less civilized rural areas rather than cities, we should not be surprised when we don’t know our own rights.
“Human rights,” which has a become propaganda phrase used by governments, not only in Yemen, but all over the world, is widely misunderstood and not well defined in Yemen as well as in many third world countries.
A clear indication of the confusion in understanding human rights is thinking that the public is not eligible to get all the information the government hides or does not reveal. According to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR), the right to know is among the most essential human rights that must be granted to all humans. In other words that signed the UDHR should not think that it is blessing its people by letting them know what is going on, but it should rather realize that its duty is to let them know, unless it was insincere and uncommitted when it signed the UDHR.
The right to know means that whatever news about kidnapping incidents, explosions, military confrontations, statistics, international deals, and many of the other positive or negative developments should be revealed to the public without any censorship.
This also applies to all governments in all countries. One cannot deny that the USA holds one of the most decent records of human rights, including the right to know. It is so obvious that a county which could have its president’s interrogation broadcasted to millions worldwide is surely by far better than others.
However, what is happening in Yemen is quite disappointing. Not only are the authorities so self-restrained in providing information, especially about critical incidents, but many of them limit the sources that independent news reporters and newspaper could get input from. Add to that the pressure that is exerted on newspapers through lawsuits and trials, the latest that of Al-Shumou’. All of this serves as a conclusion that the right to know is still not granted to the Yemeni public. It is not even an exaggeration if I say that officials themselves don’t see it as a human right and cannot imagine that it could be a human right.
We still have a long struggle before we make sure our authorities understands the true meaning of human rights, and it would require even a longer and more exhausting strife before they fulfill them. But no matter what happens, we are still willing to wait until the very end.

Yemen times
06 - February 5th thru February 11th 2001, Vol XI
http://www.yementimes.com/01/iss06/view.htm
أحبكم في الله آل مــحـمـــد *** وخير القرى: الحب في الله والبغض

truth_seeker
مشترك في مجالس آل محمد
مشاركات: 44
اشترك في: الأربعاء مايو 25, 2005 10:12 pm

مشاركة بواسطة truth_seeker »

Dear Imad,
unfortunately, what you mentioned is quite true, right now, they consider human rights as a mean for the west to invade our countires. i witnessed an incidence which has deeply touched me. a guy in the court.. in the house of justice. where it is supposed to be the resort for the opressed people. he has been put n a room. four soldiers went in and bit him up till he lost conscious.
i just hope that we educate ppl of thier rights.
salam

أحمد الشامي
مشترك في مجالس آل محمد
مشاركات: 95
اشترك في: الأربعاء مارس 03, 2004 3:26 am
مكان: Washington D.C., USA

مشاركة بواسطة أحمد الشامي »

salam

I guess stability comes before human rights. Since the situation is getting worse in Yemen, the call for human rights would vanish with the air. The Rule of Law is having a big impact on the Yemeni society, where the government is influencing and declaring new rules and philosphies just to support their point of view. There was a time when the government was so anxious about giving each individual the right he/she deserves. They started to use this strategy, even though they knew it would affect them, but it has a goal behind it, which is obviously telling the world that WE (as Yemeni Government) take care of our people needs and rights. All what the government did is announcing the decleration of human rights with out applying any of its contents. Now, of course, the mission is accomplished, and they call for Human Rights is useless, basicly because we are fighting so called "Terrorism", and believe me, nobody will pay attention to human rights as long as the war on terror is active.

I guess I will continue writting later, I have to go now...this is my stop Point.

Thank you
أللهم إني كنت كما أحب فاجعلني كما تحب

truth_seeker
مشترك في مجالس آل محمد
مشاركات: 44
اشترك في: الأربعاء مايو 25, 2005 10:12 pm

مشاركة بواسطة truth_seeker »

i agree with you, but i believe the wind of change is coming. it went through Lebanon, Iraq, Egypt and the whole middle east. i think the American Giv. right now belive that supporting such an oppressing regimes is not an option any more. . what is happening in Yemen is that they are using Ali Saleh for a quite period of time then they will kick him out of his throne. it is a matter of time and interest.
what the Gov. should do is to gain the internal acceptance rather than the external one and to make sure that they will continue in power otherwise, they will be left out
salam

أضف رد جديد

العودة إلى ”English Majlis“